The May meeting for the Camera Owners of the Bay Area (COBA) user group will be held on Wednesday, May 14, 2008, in Cordura Hall 100 at Stanford University from 7:30-10:00 pm.
The Photo Review: How to prepare, organize and survive: Five Days at Fotofest
The popularity of Photo Review Sessions has risen over the past few years, but all follow a common format and schedule. Photographers are given a 20 minute meeting slot with a reviewer and making the best use of those 20 minutes can be a challenge. Mark Jaremko attended Fotofest in Houston back in March, where he participated in 24 reviews over four days. There were many things that he learned in Houston that he wished he knew before getting on the plane; this presentation is a summary of that experience and lessons learned.
Mark will cover:
- Different Photo Review venues, both locally and in the US.
- Who should and who should not attend these reviews, the different styles of photograph that reviewers are most interested in.
- What’s involved with preparing, your portfolio, presentation and other collateral that you should bring.
- How to structure your 20 minute review slot, having clear goals for the review, deciding what body of work to show, making sure you don’t run out of time. The kind of feedback that you can expect.
- The kinds of follow-up you should be prepared for after the event.
Portable Flash Photography
Gary Cruz, a weekend photographer, moved to San Francisco in 1999 during the dot com days as a webmaster, but his passion was always with videography and photography. While the computer industry payed the bills, he continued to explore photography. It wasn’t until he got his first digital SLR, the Canon 10D, when he first started taking his photography more seriously.
Comfortable with both natural and artificial light, he has been striving to take his photos to the next level with strobes (both studio and portable) and is happy to share his tips and techniques. He will cover the following topics:
- Intro – Studio lights at home, 580ex for location
- Examples – Select photos from fashion, dance, events, and portraits
- Gear – What is in the lighting bag (580ex, PW, stands, modifiers, etc.)
- ST-E2 vs Pocket Wizards
- Editing workflow – Aperture / Photoshop workflow
- Tips / Links
If you want to check out more of Gary’s photos, visit his photoblog at www.garycruz.com or his photography site at www.amazestudios.com
SmugMug Monthly Assignment: PLAY
Play for fun or play for keeps. The winner will get a free 1-year Pro account subscription on SmugMug for having the best photo of the group!
Only new photographs taken from the previous meeting date to the next meeting date will be accepted.
Cordura Hall 100
210 Panama Street
Stanford, CA 94309
Cordura Hall is on the corner of Campus Drive and Panama Street. Park in the lot across the street. Cordura 100 is next to the courtyard between Ventura Hall and Cordura Hall.