Frankly, I thought this day would never come: MacGyver on DVD!!! I once tried getting the series on VCD’s via eBay, but I lost out on the bid. My patience has paid off—I will soon have the entire 7-season collection in pristine-DVD quality!
It’s funny, but most people growing up today would associate Richard Dean Anderson with Colonel Jack O’Neill, the gun-toting military man from Stargate SG-1. That character is a far cry from MacGyver, a thinking man’s hero who outwitted his opponents with his mind instead of guns or burly biceps.
Some of my favorite episodes include:
- Gauntlet: Has the greatest opening gambit of all-time!
- Thief of Budapest: Thought this one had The Map opening gambit, but that was Gauntlet. A good episode on its own, though.
- Deathlock: A deadly house and MacGyver’s trapped. Can he escape?
- Trumbo’s World: Ants, ants, and more ants!
- Eagles: The climbing was great (albeit a little unrealistic).
- Phoenix Under Siege: Stanley Cup Playoffs and MacGyver and Harry are stuck in the Phoenix Foundation.
- Partners: Murdoc’s first appearance.
- Ghost Ship: Bigfoot sighting!
- The Widowmaker: Murdoc strikes again!
- Hell Week: Is this what college was supposed to be like?
- The Endangered: Lost opportunities and Forest Rangers!
- Blood Brothers: With an early appearance of 90210’s Jason Priestly.
- The Invisible Killer: Still suspensful after all these years.
- Logjam: More lost opportunities make up an excellent subplot to this exciting adventure.
- Passages: Definitely a philosophical episode.
- Strictly Business: Murdoc’s back!
- Good Knight, MacGyver: No wonder he never goes by his first name!
- The Stringer: Season finale, the end of MacGyver’s TV run.
Finally, some links to other MacGyver resources on the web:
Links to various MacGyver information, I’ve collected over the years: